My stories as a Sister Missionary serving in Mongolia.
Write me!
Email Address: amy.royal@myldsmail.net
Sister Amy Royal
5th Fl, LDS Church Bldg, Tokyo Stree 6
Bayanzurkh District, 1st Khoroo
Ulaanbaantar
13381
Mongolia

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Hello from Outer Mongolia ;)

Hello from Outer Mongolia ;) 


Hello from Outer Mongolia ;)

Well, in case you were wondering, it just keeps getting colder and colder here in the city. Nothing reminds me that I am an Arizona girl more than being the only one bundled up when its 40 degrees outside. haha. But I stay warm, so don’t worry about
Me :) 

This week was full love and miracles. Sometimes I have this fear that people won’t be able to know how much I love them because I can’t say much to them. But this week I was reminded that love is a universal language. Yesterday, we met with a young girl and her mother who just got baptized. The lesson was great and they fed us yummy Mongolian food. As we were leaving, the grandma asked me if I missed my mom. I said, of course I do! And then she leaned in and gave me a huge kiss on the cheek. It was just what I needed. And I knew that mom would have done the same thing if she were there. 

Then we went to another members house and they fed us some more.. haha and we had such a fun time together. They were teaching me Mongolian and I was teaching them English. At the end, we shared a spiritual thought and they actually understood me (I love it when that happens. haha) the husband and the son walked us out to the main road and the whole way there, the little son was holding my hand and talking my ear off. I couldn’t understand a thing he was saying, but I listened as intently as I could and we laughed together. It was so fun. 

This week, I also saw the blessings that come from teaching English. All the American missionaries have to teach English at the church of Saturdays. Sometimes I resent going because we already teach so much English during the week, but we invite all of our investigators to come. This week, Nomin (a little 8 year old investigator) was coming with her mom. We have been teaching Nomin for a while, but we haven’t set a baptism date because she doesn’t have a lot of support from her family. We always ask her mom to sit in with us, but she always said she was too busy. I have been praying so fervently that she will one day listen to us. When I saw her and her daughter walk in the English Class, A calming feeling came over me and I knew one day, she would listen to our message. As we taught them English, we laughed and truly became friends. After, I asked if we could go home with them and teach them a lesson and she agreed. As we walked home together, we just talked like friends. Once we got to their house, we sat down and asked Nomins’ mom if she would like to listen, and she said yes! She listened to our whole message and she prayed at the end. I have never been so happy in my life. After the lesson, Sister Magleby and I practically skipped home. English is sometimes a bother or annoying, but I realized this week that it is through service that we make our ways into people’s hearts. And if it wasn’t for English, we wouldn’t be in Mongolia at all, right? 

There are miracles in our lives everyday, we just have to be looking for them. 

Okay one last thing before I have to leave: Embarrassing moment of the week: So Sister Magleby has been working hard at getting me to do things to bring me out of my shell. Most of the time I hate it, but I know its only because she is being an awesome trainer ;) haha. Anyways, on Sunday, she told me to go talk to a member to see if we could meet with him and his family this week. After protesting for a moment, I gave in and made my way over to him. As I made eye contact with him, I though "I have no idea what I’m going to say to him. But it’s too late now, he already knows I’m coming over. ..I stopped in front of him and tried to stutter out some words. We both just looked at each other with blank stares and he said, "What did you say?" and I tried again, but even as the words were coming out, I had no idea what I was saying. Again, we both just kind of awkwardly smiled at each other. Luckily, Sister Magleby saw my struggle and swooped in to help. It was so embarrassing at the moment, but Sister Magleby and I laughed about it all the way home. My life consists of awkward moments and looking stupid. haha. But I love it! 

Okay, I got to go to work! I love you all! 

Love, Sister Royal 

PS. guess what... I have become a victim of pick pocketing this week... :( any guesses on what it was? My camera... I’m so sad because I lost all of my mtc/mongolia pics so far :( So don’t delete the ones I sent home to you. And I’m sorry to have to spend more moneissss but I will eventually need to buy a new one



 Toya and her Family

Sister Magelby, Nomin and Me

Nomin drew a beautiful picture of the three of us together.

Hey, It's Kevin's restaurant

1 comment: